Preparing for the end of Cheap Energy

We all know it's coming, and there is likely no chance to stop it. Write your congressman and all that, but this blog is about SURVIVING through and THRIVING throughout the end of cheap energy. Let's toss in global warming, economic upheaval, and various other major calamities facing civilization.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Here's the idea!

OK, it's finally become clear what needs to happen. But first a precursor:

Recall that at one point I was pimping an ETF called "USO." It's whole thing was that it was going to track the price of oil by going long on crude oil futures. Sounded awesome, so I bought in.

But after watching it, I notices how miserably it failed at its mission. To give you an idea, review my comment (and the corresponding article in seeking alpha) re: DBO (which is basically a carbon copy of USO).

It finally occurred to me - here's what I can do! I can start an ETF where I actually buy and store oil! This is what the GLD ETF does - buys and holds gold bullion. It's behaved quite nicely vs. its benchmark. Gold is of course easier to store, but really - how expensive can it be to store a few thousand barrels of oil in rural Oklahoma? If anyone happens to know - give me a holler!

But just for fun, let's see if I can figure it out:
- It'll obviously be in rural Oklahoma, where CL futures on WTI settle. I'm thinking that'll be something like $5k per month for the facility. Maybe another $5k for storage, $5k for settlement, and $5k for insurance and what-not. That's $20k/month, or $250k/year.
- Let's say this was for 100,000 barrels of oil, costing $12million, that means expenses would be 2% per year. that's not including my cut. Hmm.. that's pretty steep. Still way better than USO and DBO, but still...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home